Think maintaining your jewelry is a chore? It doesn’t have to be. Below I’ve outlined a few ideas about jewelry care. With a little love and attention, you can ensure your wood jewelry stays looking new.
Manage Exposure to Moisture
Wooden jewelry doesn't do well with excessive moisture. This is probably the most important thing you can do as far as wooden jewelry care.
- Remove your wood jewelry before swimming, showering, or engaging in activities that involve water.
- Avoid leaving your jewelry in a bathroom or any humid environments to prevent warping or mold growth.
- If your jewelry gets wet accidentally, gently pat it dry with a soft cloth and allow it to air dry completely before storing it.
Keep Your Wood Jewelry Clean
Regular cleaning is an essential part of your jewelry care to maintain the natural beauty of your wood jewelry.
- Gently wipe your jewelry with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove dust and debris.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the wood's surface.
- For stubborn dirt or grime, use a damp cloth with mild soap and water, and make sure to dry it thoroughly afterward.
Protect Your Wood Jewelry from too much Sunlight
Direct sunlight can cause your wood jewelry to fade over time.
- Store your wood jewelry away from windows or areas with a lot of sun exposure.
- If you’re going to spend long periods of time outdoors, consider using a scarf or clothing to provide some shade for your jewelry.
- If you're displaying your wood jewelry at home, choose a spot away from direct sunlight.
Prevent Scratches and Damage
Jewelry doesn’t play well with other jewelry - keep it separate.
I’ve also written a post on Storage Ideas for Jewelry . Give it a read :)
- Store each piece of wood jewelry separately in soft fabric pouches or lined jewelry boxes to avoid scratching or tangling.
- Watch out for sharp objects and rough surfaces that could cause scratches or dents, and avoid wearing your jewelry during activities that could damage it.
- Remove your wood jewelry before applying lotions, perfumes, or hair products, as the chemicals can potentially discolor or harm the wood.
Take a Closer look at your Wood Jewelry When You Can
A great and easy tip for jewelry care is to take a few moments every now and then to inspect your wood jewelry.
- Look for any signs of wear, loose components, or damage.
- If you notice any issues, address them promptly to prevent further damage. For major repairs, consult a professional jeweler experienced in working with wood.
Caring for your wood jewelry doesn't have to be complicated. By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your pieces stay looking new. Remember, regular cleaning, moisture management, protection from sunlight, preventing scratches, and conducting regular inspections are the keys to preserving the natural beauty and durability of your Madera wood jewelry. Show your wood jewelry the love it deserves, and it will continue to look it’s best thus letting you look your best.